07 February 2011

One Step Closer

I've moved house again - but not finally. The house I'm supposed to move into is not ready and the house where I was staying, well, my agreed stay-time was expiring (and I wasn't in the mood to ask for an extension.) Fortunately, one of the people in charge of organising the house who told me that the house is being delayed knew that the place I was staying before was temporary and offered me a room to stay with her family if it put me in a tight spot (which it did). I accepted her offer and so I've moved in the area staying with ANOTHER family but not yet into the house. I'll be moving again before the end of the month.

I am grateful for the previous family for giving me a place to stay while I was in waiting, but at the same time, I am relieved to be out of there, even if it is with yet another family. Even from the beginning I felt tense with Eel, (the mother in the house), who cared about different things than I, (which was fine), and seemed to think I should care about the things she cared about instead of the things I cared about (which was less fine.) It kind of got a bit worse a bit later, and some of that was my fault as well, but I just felt tense around her and I think she was getting a bit tired of me, too, by the end.

Anyway, I feel much more comfortable with this new family I'm staying with, whose company in the house I'm actually enjoying and who seem to be making special effort to make me feel welcome without making it look like they're going out of their way (either that or they're just naturally good at it.)

My mum came to Melbourne on Saturday and even helped me move into the new temporary house, and only then found out that she actually knew the husband of the woman who I was in contact with about the house! Talk about coincidence. (Although not that much of a coincidence because this always happens within Christian communities, I've noticed.)

So there's Vicar, the male adult (who I've named after his occupation), his wife Fin, the female adult, and their children; Star, who is friendly, polite and helpful for a teenage boy, and the daughter (also an adult, but just not one of THE adults, in her early twenties) Shimmer, who I only just met less than an hour ago because she wasn't around the last couple of days since I've been here, but has made a good first impression by being friendly and sociable.

I feel a lot more relaxed than I've been in the last few weeks. I'm also trying to get to know the area a bit since, even though I've not yet made it to where I'm going to be living, I'm only a few blocks away from it. Being closer to the city than I was previously, there are plenty of places nearby that I'm quite happy are nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment